[Openid-specs-ab] Should we put self-issued into the Messages or should we create a separate document?

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Fri May 18 16:16:47 UTC 2012

This should be in Messages for sure.  The whole point of including it now is that it is standard functionality - not optional functionality.  We need to treat it that way editorially, which means putting it in the main specs - not in a separate spec.  If it's separate, that greatly increases the chances of some developers ignoring it.

Then we'd end up in a situation where it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't and so people don't use it in practice.  The worst of both worlds.  (Sort of like how i-names ended up in a sometimes-implemented situation for OpenID 2.0, rendering them pretty useless in practice.)

Responding to Justin's point about static infrastructure, I believe that the way we're going to specify it will require no static infrastructure.  Actually, it make is the protocol *more* distributed, as it removes the dependence upon third party IdPs.

                                                                -- Mike