[Openid-specs-ab] [openid/connect] Messages - Username claim (issue #584)

Justin Richer issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Wed May 16 17:08:39 UTC 2012

--- you can reply above this line ---

New issue 584: Messages - Username claim
https://bitbucket.org/openid/connect/issue/584/messages-username-claim

Justin Richer:

There's no claim in the userinfo endpoint for a user's preferred username on a service. This is semantically distinct from "name", which is meant to be the full display name of the user, "nickname", which is meant to be a shortened form of the first name for display purposes, or "user_id", which is meant to be a server-issued unique identifier. This is intended to be a traditional "username", something user-displayable with no spaces that is generally chosen by the user. While they are often unique within a given IdP's domain, their uniqueness MUST NOT be relied upon, and an RP that supports usernames can make no guarantees for a user to be granted their preferred username locally.

Facebook defines the "username" claim on their graph API's user endpoint:

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/api/user/

Portable Contacts defines a "preferredUsername" claim in their schema:

http://portablecontacts.net/draft-spec.html#entry-schema

I suggest that we use the Facebook form to keep it in line with the rest of the UserInfo schema.

following the issue.