[Openid-specs-ab] Branding for OpenID Connect

Nat Sakimura sakimura at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 21:31:34 UTC 2012

Need to check this with a patent lawyer but including our trademark
probably will protect us.
FYI, I just checked the US filing, and it is a  STANDARD CHARACTER MARK on
the string "OpenID".
No logo. Internationally, the same. In France and in Japan, logo is also
trademarked. Maybe some other countries as well.

So that bottom line is, if we want a logo for OpenID Connect, which I do,
we probably need to include the string "OpenID".

The threat is real. There already is somebody trying to register
SmartOpenID internationally.
We need to take action, if it looks going through, to defend our right.

FYI, the trademark often is a stronger IPR claim than the patent.

=nat