[Openid-specs-ab] Feedback to implementators draft

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Mon Apr 2 14:01:27 UTC 2012

Taking Torsten's point of view for a moment.

I think Thorsten is only proposing dropping the signature check requirement on id_tokens from the token endpoint.

If I send my secret to a endpoint and expect something signed with that same secret in response, I haven't really proved anything other than I am talking to the person I am tailing to.

If the token were asymmetrically signed then you would be getting something out of checking.

Perhaps changing the default signature to RSA rather than eliminating symmetric entirely.  Though there is a large amount of text in the spec that could be eliminated if symmetric were an extension rather than the default.

I agree that a generic introspection endpoint has value,  however that is not what we have.
It is a custom endpoint that needs to have access to all the client secrets to do something the client should be doing on it's own with the id_token.  The argument can be made to eliminate it on a security risk vs benefit basis.  The more places you expose passwords the more likely it is that a mistake will be made.

If you can get a token from the token endpoint that you trust equally to the check_id endpoint what is the check_id endpoint adding?

John B.