[Openid-specs-ab] scope of scope?

Brian Campbell bcampbell at pingidentity.com
Fri Mar 23 21:08:00 UTC 2012

I'm still the newbie here so please forgive me if this has already been
discussed but I have a concerns/questions about OpenID Connect's use of
scope values. I realize most of you are probably traveling to Paris right
now - I'm at a gate in O'Hare typing this - but I wanted to throw this out
there in hopes of maybe discussing at the meeting on Sunday.

2 things really,

1st:
§10.1.1 of Standard -08* has an IANA registry request for the scope values,
openid, profile, email, address, and phone. However, oauth-v2 does not
establish, as far as I can tell, a registry for scope values - only for
token types, parameters, response types and extension errors.

Perhaps this raises the question of if OAuth2 should establish some
registry for scope values or otherwise provide some guidance on avoiding
name collisions when using specific scope values in derivative
specification? It doesn't provide much now, "The [scope] strings are
defined by the authorization server" seems to be the extent of it. Anyway,
the way I read it currently, the registration request in §10.1.1 is either
illegal or meaningless.

 2nd:
Technical details of if/how to reserve scope values aside, does it make
sense for this specification to try and reserve values that seem like they
might be in common use already by existing OAuth deployments and products?
I understand there's likely a desire of short values but I expected to see
some kind of attempt at qualifying them?  i.e. oic_ or openid_ or something
along those lines.

Thanks,
Brian

* http://openid.bitbucket.org/openid-connect-standard-1_0.html#anchor21