[Openid-specs-ab] [openid/connect] Messages 2.2.3 "Access Token Response" (issue #557)

Michael Jones issues-reply at bitbucket.org
Fri Mar 23 00:42:30 UTC 2012

--- you can reply above this line ---

New issue 557: Messages 2.2.3 "Access Token Response"
https://bitbucket.org/openid/connect/issue/557/messages-223-access-token-response

Michael Jones / mbj on Fri, 23 Mar 2012 01:42:30 +0100:

  §2.2.3 "Access Token Response" of Messages-08* states that the "id_token MUST NOT be returned if the grant_type is not authorization_code."  However, §3.2.1 "Refresh Token Response" of
Standard-08** has weaker normative language stating only that, "it SHOULD NOT return id_token."  Then, though non-normative, the example in that section of Standard seems to contradict both statements by showing an id_token being returned in response to a refresh token grant type request.

Is there some subtle reason for this that I'm not seeing?

If not, I'd suggest changing the SHOULD NOT in Standard §3.2.1 to a MUST NOT (or removing "except that it SHOULD NOT return id_token" text
entirely) and removing the id_token from the JSON response in the example.

Thanks,
Brian

Responsible: mbj

following the issue.