[Openid-specs-ab] Response types clarification

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Tue Feb 21 22:53:31 UTC 2012

I agree with Breno, keeping scopes and response types separate will cause fewer problems down the road.

We have a number of new response types registered,  (I may have to hurt the next person who talk about them being com posable.)

Each response_type clearly defines what is returned from the authorization server, and how it is to be returned (ignoring grey area for post message).

The openid scope makes the protocol openid asking for a authentication grant.  e.g. Do you want to log into x and give them access to your user_id.   Simple.

The openid protocol requires that id_token is always returned from the token endpoint when exchanging code.  Simple.

The registered responstypes define what is returned from the authorization endpoint and how.  Simple.

Removing some of the return_types and overloading the openid scope with more semantics is more complicated.

My opinion
John B.