[Openid-specs-ab] Response types clarification

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Tue Feb 21 21:48:48 UTC 2012

On 2012-02-21, at 5:41 PM, Justin Richer wrote:

> John, thanks for the background. This leaves me with a major question though:
>
>> That was the way we originally had it.   Later on people thought that using the OAuth multi-response type was more OAuth friendly.
>>
>> Originally if you had the scope openid:
>> 1 response_type=code   both code and id_token were query encoded in the response
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but in the "code" flow, you don't get back an id_token in that response. You get back a code, and that code can be exchanged for an access token and an id_token, since you asked for something that includes the "openid" scope. From Standard, section 2.2.1:
>
> code
> When supplied as the value for the response_type parameter, a successful response MUST include an Authorization Code as defined in the OAuth 2.0 specification. Both successful and error responses MUST be added as parameters to the query component of the response. All tokens are returned from the Token Endpoint. Authorization Servers MUST support this response_type.
>
> So the whole issue of query-encoding the id_token isn't even an option here. It *is* an option if you're asking for something akin to "code id_token", but that wasn't on the table. In the current spec, those are both defined as fragment encoded anyway.

Having id_token returned in the front channel was one of the early must haves from the major IdP.   Given that in the early days we returned id_token query encoded in the front channel and from the token endpoint.
It looked like a hack.   There was no way to change the semantics of code.   With the multi token response type change around draft 19 of OAuth I think,  Google and Facebook decided that was the best way to indicate the response_type, rather than overloading the semantics of scopes.

Currently if you ask for code it is defined in the OAuth 2 core spec and you get code back just as you would expect, the same goes for token.  We avoided reinterpreting the OAuth spec as much as possible.
The permissible way to ask for multiple tokens is the return type and that is what we are currently doing.

>> 2 response_type=token  both access_token and id_token were fragment encoded.
>>
>> There was no way to just get code or access_token, and no way to get just id_token.
>
> The former, yes, there is: just don't include the "openid" scope. The latter, no. But if you ask for a token with just the "openid" scope and don't ask for any other permissions, the server *could* give you a null or empty or otherwise useless access token there, if it wanted to. I agree that if this is a real and viable use case, then it should be a separate kind of response_type, but I'm not seeing that right now.

The thing is that if you don't include the openid scope you are not doing openid Connect and our spec has nothing to say in the matter.   So removing the openid scope so that the IdP can't tell if it is a connect request or some other OAuth request is not a real option.

The only thing I might change at this point on response_type if I had a do over would be to use underscores rather than spaces to reduce confusion.   Other than that I don't think we have a problem.

In reality a client will only use a single response type appropriate for it.   They are not dynamically changing these things.   If you want code as a query parameter just ask for 'code' all the options are available to the clients without confusing it with the scopes.

>> It was simpler I will give you that.
>>
>> It is a bit different from adding id_token to the token endpoint in that there is no OAuth mechanism for controlling the response from the endpoint.  I suppose the alternative would have been to add an extra parameter to the token endpoint request to say if you wanted a id_token.
>
> No, again, that's what the scope already handles. If we didn't have a standardized scope value, then I'd agree with this.

Again if you remove the openid scope it is not openid.  That is the scope that asks for the user_info endpoint and the user_id.

John