[Openid-specs-ab] Response types clarification

Justin Richer jricher at mitre.org
Tue Feb 21 20:41:26 UTC 2012

John, thanks for the background. This leaves me with a major question
though:

> That was the way we originally had it.   Later on people thought that using the OAuth multi-response type was more OAuth friendly.
>
> Originally if you had the scope openid:
> 1 response_type=code   both code and id_token were query encoded in the response

Maybe I'm missing something, but in the "code" flow, you don't get back
an id_token in that response. You get back a code, and that code can be
exchanged for an access token and an id_token, since you asked for
something that includes the "openid" scope. From Standard, section 2.2.1:

code
    When supplied as the value for the response_type parameter, a
    successful response MUST include an Authorization Code as defined in
    the OAuth 2.0 specification. Both successful and error responses
    MUST be added as parameters to the query component of the response.
    All tokens are returned from the Token Endpoint. Authorization
    Servers MUST support this response_type.
So the whole issue of query-encoding the id_token isn't even an option
here. It *is* an option if you're asking for something akin to "code
id_token", but that wasn't on the table. In the current spec, those are
both defined as fragment encoded anyway.

> 2 response_type=token  both access_token and id_token were fragment encoded.
>
> There was no way to just get code or access_token, and no way to get just id_token.

The former, yes, there is: just don't include the "openid" scope. The
latter, no. But if you ask for a token with just the "openid" scope and
don't ask for any other permissions, the server *could* give you a null
or empty or otherwise useless access token there, if it wanted to. I
agree that if this is a real and viable use case, then it should be a
separate kind of response_type, but I'm not seeing that right now.

> It was simpler I will give you that.
>
> It is a bit different from adding id_token to the token endpoint in that there is no OAuth mechanism for controlling the response from the endpoint.  I suppose the alternative would have been to add an extra parameter to the token endpoint request to say if you wanted a id_token.

No, again, that's what the scope already handles. If we didn't have a
standardized scope value, then I'd agree with this.

  -- Justin