[Openid-specs-ab] id_token in URI query parameter

John Bradley ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com
Tue Feb 21 17:57:28 UTC 2012

We of support id_tokens to be returned directly from the Authorization server, but only fragment encoded.   There was a active debate on if the 'code id_token' response_type should return id_token as a query parameter.   At the time Google & Facebook based on existing practice of returning 'code signed_request' as both fragment encoded argued that was the best way to do it.  It was a utility issue not a security one.

Their argument is that it is only a single JS that needs to be called from the server to return the fragment encoded values.

An example :

// First, parse the query string
var params = {}, queryString = location.hash.substring(1),
    regex = /([^&=]+)=([^&]*)/g, m;
while (m = regex.exec(queryString)) {
  params[decodeURIComponent(m[1])] = decodeURIComponent(m[2]);
}

// And send the token over to the server
var req = new XMLHttpRequest();
// consider using POST so query isn't logged
req.open('GET', 'https://' + window.location.host + '/catchtoken?' + queryString, true);

req.onreadystatechange = function (e) {
  if (req.readyState == 4) {
     if(req.status == 200){
       window.location = params['state']
   }
  else if(req.status == 400) {
        alert('There was an error processing the token.')
    }
    else {
      alert('something else other than 200 was returned')
    }
  }
};
req.send(null);

I am not a web developer myself.  I see advantages to both approaches depending on what you are doing.

We could make another response_type token_code_query  and let the client decide though it introduces more options and complexity.

John B.