[Openid-specs-ab] Does Connect support public clients?

Justin Richer jricher at mitre.org
Tue Feb 21 14:43:03 UTC 2012

Yes, I certainly do. It's cleaner in design, its pattern is more proven,
and it can be implemented in all kinds of different clients, even
lightweight Javascript ones. The implicit flow is an optimization for
fewer network calls, and it's always felt more like a codified hack than
a real protocol flow to me. Whenever I've seen somebody pressed on the
issue of whether or not their clients could really support the code
flow, they've admitted that yes, they could, but they didn't want to pay
the time costs of a second round trip to the server.

We're also concentrating on the code flow for our own Connect
deployment, and we'll patch in the implicit flow sometime later.

  -- Justin