[Openid-specs-ab] JWT encryption

Dirk Balfanz balfanz at google.com
Thu Jan 12 22:27:05 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM, John Bradley <ve7jtb at ve7jtb.com> wrote:

> The plan is to have a encryption with integrity mode that doesn't require
> GCM.
>
> You create a content master key and key wrap that (Symmetric or
> Asymmetric).  That key is used with a KDF to crate 2 keys,  a content
> encryption key and a integrity key.
> The content is AES CBC 128 encrypted (as an example).  Then a HMAC is
> calculated over the encrypted body using the integrity key.

This sounds good. One question: if the key I want to use to
encrypt-and-sign is already a, say, 128-bit symmetric key, then creating
another 128-bit "master" key (which needs to be wrapped) and KDF-ing the
signer and encrypter from that seems like overkill. Why not just KDF the
signer and encrypter directly from my original key? It makes the spec more
complex (in some cases you can skip the wrapping of the master key, and
some you can't), but shipping an extra key around when you don't need to is
no fun...

Dirk.