[Openid-specs-ab] Description of js_origin_uri (Javascrip Origin URI) in Client Registration Spec

Edmund Jay ejay at mgi1.com
Wed Nov 23 19:11:49 UTC 2011

In the Registration spec, we have a js_origin_uri field which requires more
explanation.
Currently, it's defined as :
    OPTIONAL. Space-separated list of             JavaScript Origin URIs (used
for Post Message flow).

This description is not very informative as is, so the working group decided to
do some research.

In the case of OpenID Connect, JavaScript clients may be used to implement parts
of the specs.
JavaScript has a same origin policy that only permits pages to interact with
each other if they originate from the same origin.
Origin  is defined by the scheme, host, and port of a URL. Pages have the same
origin if and only if the scheme, host, and port matches exactly.

Some general background about same origin policy can be found at
http://www.w3.org/Security/wiki/Same_Origin_Policy

HTML5 defines the exact mechanism for determining the effective origin of a
piece of Javascript by using it's "owner".
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/origin-0.html#effective-script-origin

Given  this restriction, there are techniques used by providers to allow cross
domain communication. Otherwise, only scripts in the same origin as the
providers would be able to work.

This page describes window.postMessage
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM/window.postMessage

Project homepage:
http://code.google.com/p/oauth2-postmessage-profile/

https://groups.google.com/group/oauth2-postmessage-profile

Authorized JavaScript Origins
    For example: https://example.com

So for the Registration  spec, it would just be a list of allowable URIs where
client Javascript  resides that would interact with the Authorization servers.

Would it be correct to define the js_origin_uri as follows :

     OPTIONAL. A Space-separated list of allowable URIs where client Javascript
used for interacting with  Authorization Servers reside or embedded.

Another question is, should we eliminate the js_origin_uri, since it's not
mentioned anywhere else?
Or do we need to elaborate more on how it's used in the other specs?