[Openid-specs-ab] FW: OAuth 2.0 Bearer Token Specification Draft -14

Mike Jones Michael.Jones at microsoft.com
Mon Nov 7 18:23:35 UTC 2011

From: oauth-bounces at ietf.org [mailto:oauth-bounces at ietf.org] On Behalf Of Mike Jones
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2011 10:23 AM
To: oauth at ietf.org
Subject: [OAUTH-WG] OAuth 2.0 Bearer Token Specification Draft -14

Draft 14 of the OAuth 2.0 Bearer Token Specification<http://self-issued.info/docs/draft-ietf-oauth-v2-bearer.html> has been published.  It contains the following changes:

·        Changes made in response to review comments by Security Area Director Stephen Farrell. Specifically:

·        Strengthened warnings about passing an access token as a query parameter and more precisely described the limitations placed upon the use of this method.

·        Clarified that the realm attribute MAY included to indicate the scope of protection in the manner described in HTTP/1.1, Part 7 [I‑D.ietf‑httpbis‑p7‑auth]<http://self-issued.info/docs/draft-ietf-oauth-v2-bearer.html#I-D.ietf-httpbis-p7-auth>.

·        Normatively stated that "the token integrity protection MUST be sufficient to prevent the token from being modified".

·        Added statement that "TLS is mandatory to implement and use with this specification" to the introduction.

·        Stated that TLS MUST be used with "a ciphersuite that provides confidentiality and integrity protection".

·        Added "As a further defense against token disclosure, the client MUST validate the TLS certificate chain when making requests to protected resources" to the Threat Mitigation section.

·        Clarified that putting a validity time field inside the protected part of the token is one means, but not the only means, of limiting the lifetime of the token.

·        Dropped the confusing phrase "for instance, through the use of TLS" from the sentence about confidentiality protection of the exchanges.

·        Reference RFC 6125 for identity verification, rather than RFC 2818.

·        Stated that the token MUST be protected between front end and back end servers when the TLS connection terminates at a front end server that is distinct from the actual server that provides the resource.

·        Stated that bearer tokens MUST not be stored in cookies that can be sent in the clear in the Threat Mitigation section.

·        Replaced sole remaining reference to [RFC2616]<http://self-issued.info/docs/draft-ietf-oauth-v2-bearer.html#RFC2616>.

·        Replaced all references where the reference is used as if it were part of the sentence (such as "defined by [I-D.whatever]") with ones where the specification name is used, followed by the reference (such as "defined by Whatever [I-D.whatever]").

·        Other on-normative editorial improvements.

The draft is available at these locations:

·        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-v2-bearer-14

·        http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-oauth-v2-bearer-14.pdf

·        http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-oauth-v2-bearer-14.txt

·        http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-oauth-v2-bearer-14.xml