[Openid-specs-ab] Messages - 3.1.2 additional display parameter options

George Fletcher george.fletcher at teamaol.com
Tue Oct 18 13:25:37 UTC 2011

Per my action item from yesterday... here is a possible write up for
additional options for the display parameter. Currently OpenID Connect
defines one value 'none' which means that the request MUST be handled
without showing any UI to the user.  Facebook defines (page, iframe,
popup, touch, wap) some of which are also in the OpenID UI Extension.
I'm not sure we want to support iframe so I didn't include it in the
list below.

    page
         The Authorization Server SHOULD display authentication and
    consent UI consistent with a full browser page view. If the display
    parameter is not specified this is the default display mode.

    popup
         The Authorization Server SHOULD display authentication and
    consent UI consistent with a popup browser window. The popup browser
    window SHOULD conform to N x N pixels.

    touch
         The Authorization Server SHOULD display authentication and
    consent UI consistent with a device that leverages a touch
    interface. The Authorization Server MAY attempt to detect the device
    touch and further customize the interface.

    wap
         The Authorization Server SHOULD display authentication and
    consent UI consistent with a "feature phone" type display.

Note that the semantics are slightly different as these values are more
hints from the client where as 'none' is a "command". Would it make
sense to move the 'none' feature of display to the 'prompt' parameter?
It seems to me that the semantics fit better. The main point of 'none'
is that we don't want to ask the user any questions. The fact that no UI
is displayed is a side effect of not asking the user for any input.

Thanks,
George

--
Chief Architect                   AIM:  gffletch
Identity Services Engineering     Work: george.fletcher at teamaol.com
AOL Inc.                          Home: gffletch at aol.com
Mobile: +1-703-462-3494           Blog: http://practicalid.blogspot.com
Office: +1-703-265-2544           Twitter: http://twitter.com/gffletch