[Openid-specs-ab] Spec call notes 15-Aug-11

Allen Tom allentomdude at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 02:36:42 UTC 2011

Hi All -

I think it's important that the profile picture be available in multiple
resolutions. Displaying the user's picture is one of the most compelling
indicators of the "logged in" user experience. There are many examples where
profile pictures need to be displayed in different sizes based on the
context:

- (small) Logged in indicator on a web toolbar (as seen on Google, Yahoo,
Twitter)
- (medium) Tooltips when hovering over an identifier (LinkedIn, GMail,
Facebook News feed)
- (medium) Attribution in an activity stream (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook,
Google+)
- (large) Profile pic as displayed on Profile Page
- (original size) - clients may want the original image (Twitter, Facebook)

The descriptors small/medium/large probably are going to change over time,
especially as clients continue to evolve, and display resolution density
increases.

It looks like the model that is currently used is that IdPs return the
profile pic URL, and clients can append a query parameter to the base URL if
they want a size other than the default. For example, twitter uses
"size=bigger" and Facebook uses "type=large" to get pics larger than the
default.

https://api.twitter.com/1/users/profile_image?screen_name=atom
https://api.twitter.com/1/users/profile_image?screen_name=atom&size=bigger
https://graph.facebook.com/allentom/picture
https://graph.facebook.com/allentom/picture?type=large

Perhaps the best want to future proof the size parameter is to just specify
the preferred resolution, and the server will try to return the best sized
image that it can. So for example a client can specify "size=200x300" to
request a 200px by 300px profile image. Perhaps a special case
"size=original" can be used to get the original image, if available.

So the proposal is that clients can add an optional "size=XXXxYYY" parameter
when linking to the profile picture to specify the desired size.

Thoughts?
Allen