[Openid-specs-ab] [OAUTH-WG] Simple Web Discovery

Lukas Rosenstock lr at lukasrosenstock.net
Fri Oct 29 11:04:40 UTC 2010

Hello!
This draft is looking nice, the idea and specification is simple and
straightforward. I would like to draw the connection to other
discovery approaches.

The introductory example in the draft was this one:
GET /.well-known/simple-web-discovery?principal=mailto:joe at example.com&service=urn:adatum.com:calendar
HTTP/1.1

This returns the following response:
{
 "locations":["http://calendars.proseware.com/calendars/joseph"]
}

As per my understanding - please correct me if I'm wrong - this should
be semantically equivalent to the following:
1) Perform host-meta discovery for example.com, which returns an XRD
with the webfinger endpoint.
2) Do webfinger for joe at example.com.
3) The final XRD contains the following:
<XRD>
[...]
<Link rel="urn:adatum.com:calendar"
href="http://calendars.proseware.com/calendars/joseph" />
[...]
</XRD>

Both approaches work, but SWD is a shortcut removes parsing
requirements and fetching roundtrips from the client.

Thoughts, anyone?!

Regards,
 Lukas Rosenstock