[Openid-specs-ab] Request artifact

John Bradley jbradley at mac.com
Thu Apr 29 15:17:04 UTC 2010

Having the artifact for the artifact response be unguessable is important.

For the request, if an attacker guesses the artifact they can't learn any information.

The best they can do is use it in a authentication attempt.

Given that anyone can make a artifact request to the OP for anyone else and get the request artifact that seems like a bunch of work for something that at best could be a denial of service.

If I were a OP I would probably generate the request artifacts as URL

eg https://myOP.com/server1/openID?HASH=RC5_HASH

That way I can use the URI for a database lookup if I have one server,  or store the request in a file at the URL in rpf format if I have a cluster.

Others with clusters may want to compress and encrypt the request into the artifact,  I suspect normal losses compression won't be enough in some cases.
You could do something custom to compress it but that is still non deterministic.
Thats is why I would store the request by a hash.

With most OP's using directed identity, I am guessing you are probably only going to store one entry per RP in a lot of cases.

I think those choices are up to the OP to make.

I don't think that there is a real requirement in 7.5 for the artifact to be unique or random.

The most you can say is that it is an opaque reference to the original request less than 400 characters.

We need precise language in 7.6 saying one of openid.artifact | openid.rpfurl is required.

The terminology that we have used in the openID specs where we have multiple optional elements is not super clear if one from a set is required.

John B.