[OpenID] On the portability of identifiers

Steven Livingstone-Perez weblivz at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 30 21:28:54 UTC 2008

What I'd say to (1) is that while a URL may be under the control of DNS, a
URI isn't.

If we consider the parallel to namespaces, and in particular how Xml Schema
uses them, all a URI does (in theory) is guarantee global uniqueness and a
hint on what to do to discover the schema.

In fact the resolution of the actual schema is implementation dependent. If
OpenID were to use a similar concept so that an OpenID does nothing other
than guarantee uniqueness but how that is resolved and ultimately mapped to
a *real* OpenID (i.e. where you log in) than there may be less of an issue
and you could have a portable, somewhat abstract, OpenID - your own unique
identity.

A bit more thought to achieve that but nothing more than the discussions
that have occurred thus far.