[OpenID] OpenID based on email addresses... Just Works!

Martin Atkins martin at atkins.me.uk
Thu Oct 30 17:43:17 UTC 2008

David Fuelling wrote:

> So my grandma has a yahoo.com <http://yahoo.com> email address (she
> doesn't really, but for the sake of illustration).  She types
> 'grandma at yahoo.com <mailto:grandma at yahoo.com>' into an RP, and in 2008,
> she'll use Yahoo.com as her OP.  But in 2009 (hypothetically), Yahoo
> introduces the ability to "link" your email address to any OpenID of
> your choosing.  They setup a control panel to facilitate this, etc.  My
> grandma, being not that sophisticated, will likely continue using
> Yahoo.  But me -- I'll be able to now link my yahoo.com
> <http://yahoo.com> email address to my sappenin.com
> <http://sappenin.com> OpenID.  In 2012 (assume my grandma is kind of
> young), I go over to her house and say, "Grandma, did you know that if
> you start using Google.com as your Identity Provider, they'll pay you $1
> every time you login to a site, because they're Google and they can do
> that sort of thing?".  My grandma will say something like, "Wow, I use
> the computer a lot, and that will subsidize my social security -- Thanks
> Google!".  And oh, by the way, since it's 2012, Google has an automated
> system to do all of this for my Grandma, so she doesn't even need my
> help to let Google subsidize her social security.   She simply switches
> over her OpenID email mapping/Delegation information.....but retains her
> email yahoo email address as her "login mechanism".

Of course, as soon as you change the URL underlying your email address,
you effectively become a new user on all RPs where you use that email
address.

This is exactly the sort of confusion I'm thinking of when I say that
adding this extra layer of indirection is confusing. I'm still typing in
the same email address, so why can't I access my account?

I think this is one situation where simpler is better. If there's only
one identifier in play then you know where you stand.