[OpenID] OpenID based on email addresses... Just Works!

SitG Admin sysadmin at shadowsinthegarden.com
Thu Oct 30 16:11:52 UTC 2008

>That sounds more like an argument for you to use http://sappenin.com/ as
>your identifier instead of an email address.
>
>If you want to use a HTTP URL for your identifier, just enter that URL
>into the RP directly!

RP's can play a role in educating users, here - after the user has
logged in a few times and become accustomed to returning for some
product or service, start giving them the occasional reminder. An
infrequent delay that says "This is the URI we've discovered for your
OpenID and you should use this in future so it still works even if
your E-mail address doesn't." before letting them proceed could
gradually train users to use URI's instead. At the very least it
could help with getting them to transition from associating E-mail
addresses with their identity to associating URL's with their
identity.

-Shade