[OpenID] OpenID based on email addresses... Just Works!

David Fuelling sappenin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 15:31:51 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Steven Livingstone-Perez <
weblivz at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I saw that coming Ben and it's a fair point.
>
> When I do consultancy with various places they give me an email.
>
> I may share that email with their systems that require an OpenID - but I'd
> rather tie it to my independent OpenID. That way, if I register with a
> system that continues to be valuable to me when I leave that company
> (government systems being a good example) I can simply change the email but
> maintain my identity.
>
> Of course you may argue why not change the identity to the new email rather
> then? I just don't like changing primary identifiers in this manner due to
> side effects in other systems etc.

I agree.  It may not be a good assumption, but my impression is that my
OpenID (http://openid.sappenin.com) is going to be "under my control" and
"appropriate to use" for a much longer time than my common email addresses (
something at gmail.com, somethingelse at yahoo.com, personal at sappenin.com, etc)
because it makes sense to use different email addresses throughout my day,
year, and life -- whereas I forsee being able to use the same OpenID URL
forever (as long as sappenin.com is around, at least).  In my opinion, one
more reason (user convenience) to just map an email address to an OpenID
(XRI or URL).