[OpenID] [LIKELY_SPAM]Re: Google OpenID IDP is now live

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Thu Oct 30 00:27:29 UTC 2008

Can you give a (sanitized) summary of Google-internal thinking on how the 3  way legal relationship between subscriber (to IDP and RP), the RPs, and the IDP will work?

Folks studying SAML models learn that a "federation" can be  idp-centric, or sp-centric. These obviously contrast with the openid model, with is **supposed** to be user-centric-but is looking increasingly idp-centric, in reality (the easiest).

For example, can an RP (acting now as an OP) turn around and issue its own assertion to downstream RPs having relied on the Google assertion? Can it cite its reliance on Google? If it can, its "repurposing" limited? Does it need permission?

These are hard (legal) questions, as already seen in the CA world. There, since ANYONE can rely on an X.509 cert by design, there was no opportunity to impose contractual obligations on RPs, and no opportunity to enforce a signup policy or clickthru agreements. So ...copyright controls were necessarily used instead, along with the threats of federal prosecution (as invoked at least once by VeriSign, when Sun had some poor stooge test the power of the VeriSign policy being applied in protection of Microsoft's Authenticode signed-code scheme, during the Sun/Microsoft web1.0 wars of the late 90s).