[OpenID] Google OpenID IDP is now live

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Wed Oct 29 21:13:50 UTC 2008

Steven Livingstone-Perez wrote:

> Yes, the privacy issue is the main one that screams out at me.
>
> The question is whether you think you gain anything from knowing this.
> Perhaps you do and it's a screwed up solution. I wouldn't mind, perhaps many
> would.

Since I'm no expert on the privacy needs of people around the world, I
tend to just assume that anything you share will impact someone, so if
you can avoid sharing something then you should.

With language specifically, if you know someone's primary language you
can often make a good guess about their nationality or current country
of residence, which could cause various problems for some people in
certain contexts.