[OpenID] Google OpenID IDP is now live

Dick Hardt dick.hardt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 21:05:17 UTC 2008

On 29-Oct-08, at 12:25 PM, Eric Sachs wrote:

> >> I hope I'm misunderstanding what you are saying and that you
> support the standard.
> >> That's the hub and spoke model, pretending to be an open system.
> Hopefully my follow on post clarified Dick & Peter's questions.
>
> In fact, one of the questions I raised at the UX summit last week
> was how an E-mail outsourcing services like our
> GoogleAppsForYourDomain could offer this type of OpenID IDP as a
> service to those domains.  Since we host thousands of such domains,
> the auto-discovery aspects of OpenID are key.  However the challenge
> we face is how to avoid lock-in.  In particular, we need a way for
> an enterprise/ISP/school/etc. to start using our IDP, but later move
> it somewhere else without breaking federated login for their users.
> Similarly, they should be able to run their own and then migrate it
> to us.  OpenID provides a great set of abstraction layers to make
> this possible, however there is still a lot more research we need to
> do into the actual mechanics of getting that to work.

Let the user type in their domain name and have the XRDS record point
to a Google operated OP entry point. Could even have the domain in the
path so that Google has an idea which domain it is. This way they can
move to running their own OP or another OP and have the XRDS point
somewhere else. If they point the DNS entry to Google, Google can
setup the XRDS for them. Not sure I see what is complicated about
this. Can you enlighten me about what I am missing?

wrt. the UX issues. Yes, there are issues -- and we should develop
some additional standards / conventions to address them -- but I don't
see why that prevents you from supporting how the protocol works today.

-- Dick