[OpenID] Google OpenID IDP is now live

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Wed Oct 29 20:24:58 UTC 2008

Steven Livingstone-Perez wrote:
> Still struggling to understand why a language hint at the OP based on
> the provided OpenID wouldn’t work. I mean, if you registered and set a
> language when doing so then why not use that even when NOT logged in?
> Only the OP needs to know right?

I'm not sure what exactly you're proposing at the technical level, but I
can think of two ways to achieve what you're describing:

  * The OP sets a cookie for the user's primary language which persists
when signed out. This would of course fail if the user is not on a
computer he's logged in with before, which is unfortunately also the
most likely case where Accept-Language and similar techniques will fail,
since the user is most probably not using his own computer and may thus
be using someone else's settings.

  * The OP looks at openid.identity in the request and picks a language
based on that. This doesn't work in the directed identity case, where
the user just enters the OP identifier rather than his own identifier.
It could also be considered a privacy issue if anyone can discover a
user's primary language given their OpenID identifier by simply
initiating OpenID Authentication and seeing what language is returned at
the OP.

Did you have something else in mind?