[OpenID] What is phishing? [was: Phishing resistant policy of PAPE]

Eric Norman ejnorman at doit.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 29 14:19:43 UTC 2008

On Oct 28, 2008, at 9:08 PM, Martin Atkins wrote:

> Eric Norman wrote:
>> True enough.  And the so-called phishing resistance of OpenID doesn't
>> change this.  I.e. it doesn't add any different signals that can't be
>> faked by evil.com.  That's the point;  That's why I say the phrase
>> is misleading.
>
> I don't know about anyone else, but I've always understood "phishing
> resistant" to mean that the authentication mechanism in use cannot be
> phished at all, even if the user doesn't watch out for the "signals".

Your understanding of phishing is not the same as what it
says in Wikipedia; it's not even close.

I think it would be useful if all the understandings floating
around could be more in harmony.  (Do not take this as a
claim the Wikipedia is Gospel).

For starters, how about detailing the distinction between a
phishing attack and a man-in-the-middle attack?  I'll start.
An essential feature of a phishing attack is that the user
is an active participant and can be fooled.  MITM attacks
can be effected covertly.

Eric Norman