[OpenID] [LIKELY_SPAM]Re: [LIKELY_SPAM]Re: Combining Google & Yahoo user experience research

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Tue Oct 28 21:00:50 UTC 2008

SitG Admin wrote:

> I do still (and did) handle E-mail through one machine, web access
> through another. The machine that can handle E-mail has practically
> nonexistent browser support; as far as the machine that can handle the
> web is concerned, I have *never* entered an E-mail address. By isolating
> each specialized machine in this way, I benefit from additional layers
> of security, and all it costs me is a slight hit in speed when I have to
> copy some information across by hand. I never have to take the "web"
> machine offline to check E-mail, even if I disconnect the "mail" machine
> from all networks before opening a message.

I assume therefore that when a website wants to validate your email
address as per current practice you manually type the URL in the
validation email into your web browser on the other computer?

 > So it's all done in DNS?

My attempt at a protocol uses DNS, yes. I think DNS is the right layer
to specify where the mail verification service for the domain is, since
DNS is where the mail servers for the domain are specified. There are
other approaches that would work too, of course.

What I'm trying to achieve is to simply ask the provider "does this user
own this email address?" rather than sending an email and having a user
click a link. It sounds to me like this would be especially useful to
you since the computer that handles your email would be taken out of the
picture completely and you'd just do a normal OpenID "redirect dance" in
your browser.