[OpenID] Phishing resistant policy of PAPE

Paul Madsen paulmadsen at rogers.com
Tue Oct 28 20:40:51 UTC 2008

Ben Laurie wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Paul Madsen <paulmadsen at rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> FYI, PAPE 1.0-07 (the version under public review) [1] no longer defines the
>> phishing resistant policy in this manner.
>>
>> Instead
>>
>> "An authentication mechanism where a party potentially under the control of
>> the Relying Party can not gain sufficient information to be able to
>> successfully authenticate to the End User's OpenID Provider as if that party
>> were the End User."
>>
>> This would seem to be sufficiently general to encompass both a simple phish
>> as well as a more involved MITM (as well as arguably a password mechanism
>> supplemented by something like Yahoo site seal).
>>
>> I preferred the old defn, i.e. defining phishing resistant in terms of not
>> relying on a shared secret between OP and user, as it better captures the
>> (to me) key distinguishing aspect of protecting the user from being fooled
>> into giving away that secret.
>>

> This is a grey area. If a shared secret is carefully protected, then
> it is phishing resistant.

right. So If I were to self-host an OP, and used every trick available
(e.g. check URL, look at cert, implement site seal, etc) to ensure that
I (as user) never presented my password elsewhere, then I (as OP) could
justifiably claim 'phishing resistant' for myself (as a User).

this is the inherent challenge in describing authentication not in terms
of what happened (e.g. password, Infocards, OTP, multi-factor, etc) but
rather in terms of the resulting security characteristics (e.g. phishing
resistance, MITM resistant, etc) - very different authentication
'methods' can (if appropriately deployed by the OP and appropriately
implemented by users ) provide similar security characteristics.  That
seems like a dangerous 'best-case' model ....

>> Separately, the 'can not' seems optimistic. Are there any absolutes in
>> security?
>>

> No :-)

good to hear I didn't miss some new development :-)