[OpenID] Phishing resistant policy of PAPE

Paul Madsen paulmadsen at rogers.com
Tue Oct 28 18:09:11 UTC 2008

FYI, PAPE 1.0-07 (the version under public review) [1] no longer defines
the phishing resistant policy in this manner.

Instead

"An authentication mechanism where a party potentially under the control
of the Relying Party can not gain sufficient information to be able to
successfully authenticate to the End User's OpenID Provider as if that
party were the End User."

This would seem to be sufficiently general to encompass both a simple
phish as well as a more involved MITM (as well as arguably a password
mechanism supplemented by something like Yahoo site seal).

I preferred the old defn, i.e. defining phishing resistant in terms of
not relying on a shared secret between OP and user, as it better
captures the (to me) key distinguishing aspect of protecting the user
from being fooled into giving away that secret.

Separately, the 'can not' seems optimistic. Are there any absolutes in
security?

Paul

[1]
http://openid.net/specs/openid-provider-authentication-policy-extension-1_0-07.html#auth_policies