[OpenID] Combining Google & Yahoo user experience research

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Thu Oct 23 19:06:07 UTC 2008

Can I comment by making possible incorrect summary/summarizing/clarifying statements? They focus on discovery, the term "confirmation", and generalization of the concepts.

Im hearing is that "discovery" by rps will be used as the vehicle by which a subject "confirmation" method is invoked, that, together with a bearer assertion later received from the op, allows the rp to adjudge/determine that the user controls id x, and newly x is a "valid" "Y" (e.g. Email address attribute specifcally administered via objectclass "internetPerson" or eduPerson, or...).

When delegation mode is invoked by the user, im assuming that user may invoke it so that s/he signals s/ he does not want that kind of trail-leaving confirmation process to be used. (ie apply one or other "vanity" id to prevent release/confrmation of email address.)

The process, thus generalized as "validated discovery" is thus not limited only to validating Y is email, as resolvable using dns. It could be a validity class Y' , defined as an ip address id I is on a virtual routing domain invisible to the public internet.

Presumably, there is no harm in one discovery agent delegating or proxying to another.