[OpenID] [LIKELY_SPAM]Re: [LIKELY_SPAM]Re: [LIKELY_SPAM]Re: Combining Google & Yahoo user experience research

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Thu Oct 23 04:54:31 UTC 2008

This is not as bizarre as it sounds. The basic pattern  (though SAML has no delegation notion to worry about) is what the Shibboleth IDP always does (apparently) with SAML equivalents to OpenID2 messages: receive a request solicitation, and (formally) ignore it by sending back an unsolicited response. It cannot send back a SAML solicited response (openid positive assertion), apparently.

This is done, apparently, on the grounds that it allows for stateless consumers/SPs (that therefore have no means to check the round trip nonces, or participate in stateful use cases of SAML etc).

I find it all very dubious (and I'm somewhat suspicious, buts that's just my nature as a security engineer trained a certain way in secure protocol design). There are Specs that have hundreds of words addressing of solicited responses, tiny mentions and conformance rules about requiring support for unsolicited responses/assertions, and folks DO actually apply unsolicited responses to a request for a solicited response/assertion.