[OpenID] Combining Google & Yahoo user experience research

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Wed Oct 22 14:04:16 UTC 2008

We just went through this in our little IDP (merely a quarter-million users, using some or other commodity PC stuff in unmanaged lans, usually). Hardly a google/yahoo/aol scale operation...so, perhaps it doesn't count in OpenID land.

But, Users cntl-N all the time, using IE, and in one frame they logout/login as a new user on the same site. The point is ... that IE and ASP.NET have specific session models, and you have to be careful with sso protocols (SAML now, and presumably OpenID2 once the Board endorse and promote it for enterprise websso).

We too just ended up recognizing when a user has multiple login sessions on the IDP (in one or more "child browsers" on one secure desktop instance), and force the user to choose one of them (or a third) before responding to the sso requestor. This need not be the local security context  identity presently used on the spoke being viewed in the invoking browser instance, note, that initiates sso to another spoke.

This is harder to do with SAML than (it would be) with OpenID2, as SAML has mandatory signals that the IDP must observe ...that control UI. One must produce the correct SAML error too, sometimes, to be conforming and/or allow the better written RP site to recover gracefully.