[OpenID] Combining Google & Yahoo user experience research

SitG Admin sysadmin at shadowsinthegarden.com
Tue Oct 21 19:50:52 UTC 2008

>I understood that UCI (in the OpenID vs the Cardspace sense) to be
>about user empowerment. It exists to break the notion that FaceBook
>(or some other IDP) controls the portability of buddy list. I
>control my buddy list. Period. The OP is just a contractor, to me;
>handling my copyrighted data aggregation.

Your friends are still your friends; the *human* relationships are
not controlled by Facebook or any other site. It's the *data*
relationships (representations of the human relationships, and what
can be inferred from them) that sites uniquely have; it's not
something the *user* offered, it's something that the *site* worked
to create. So the question may be, how do we isolate the data sets
"owned" by the site from the data sets "owned" by the user?

Metadata. We don't use this in HTML; we have tags inline with the
text. But it's certainly possible (and was *very* friendly to
forensics!) to have a separate file (or part of a file) that kept
track of which formatting changes were made and where they
started/stopped applying. This data would then be combined with the
plaintext to restore the formatted document.

This is a straightforward concept with dynamic webpages, drawing
(presumably) from both databases simultaneously. But the formatting
needs to be done server-side because Facebook (et all) doesn't trust
the user with this proprietary data. So how does the user recover if
Facebook goes down?

Backups, yes. The user can't "have" Facebook's data; can Facebook use
encryption? Backup *their* data relationships (compressed) to the
user's offsite storage, encrypted to keep the user from "having"
Facebook's data. This encryption could eventually be broken, but by
that time won't the data's usefulness have "expired" or been replaced
by more current data sets? If anything, this is a promise that,
eventually - when computing power has advanced sufficiently - even
Facebook's utter demise would not *forever* deprive the user of what
they were used to. Abandonware that gracefully exits to the public
domain.

The offsite backup of data relationships holds an intriguing promise
for new start-ups: instead of having to back up all your data (an
enormous cost in hardware), you just back up (and, of course, secure)
the *keys* - at that point, your own local hard-drives become mere
backup for the *users* in case *they* lose your data (which, since
you managed it on their behalf, isn't really of much use to anyone
else). Hard drives could also be ditched entirely if the start-up
wanted to focus on privacy.

-Shade