[OpenID] Combining Google & Yahoo user experience research

Andrew Arnott andrewarnott at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 04:20:54 UTC 2008

Brandon,
You make some good points.  However, consider the following non-OpenID
example:

I have managed to open a bank account over the Internet without ever showing
any photo ID.  I gave my birthdate, SSN, address, and some other
information, but besides describing myself thoroughly, the bank never met me
in person.  In fact, somehow they got my birthdate wrong in their database
one day and when I called in and failed to answer the challenge question
they made me fax in my gov't-issued photo ID with birthdate to prove that
they were wrong and I was really who I claimed to be.  The point is that it
wasn't until my identity was in question that they ever ensured that I was
indeed a person.  They seem to have not even validated the information I
initially gave them or they probably would have caught the incorrect birth
date.
Anyway after my initial registration they let me choose a username and
password, which I did.  And I have ever-after used it to log in.

After I picked a username/password at my bank, the only reason my bank had
to believe that there was exactly one person on my end of the credential is
that that unseen person gave a lot of PII (personally identifiable
information) as part of the registration process.  The trust mechanism was
implied that since I gave up all that information, I would want to maintain
exclusive control of my credential to that bank, and that bank trusted that
my self-interest would protect the bank as well.

So what does this mean for OpenID and actions of transactional value?  Well,
as you say OpenID Identifiers don't enforce a correlation to exactly one
human being -- it could be more or less than 1.  But if the bank took me
through the exact same process as I described above, but instead of asking
me to pick a username and password asked me for my OpenID Identifier, then
all the above self-interest and trust would seem to still apply.  Whether an
OpenID Identifier or username/password, if either credential were stolen
from me, my assets at the bank could be stolen.  I don't see one as any more
or less secure than the other -- from my perspective.

The risk to the bank in becoming an OpenID RP would seem to be that if my
Identifier was compromised and my money stolen, I might be tempted to call
the bank and blame them for giving my money away to someone else.  I don't
know if that's the concern banks have or if they would be legally obligated
to refund my money, but it's a risk either way.  The bank could mitigate
this risk by researching OPs and picking a few they deem trustworthy (i.e.
phishing resistant) and only allowing Identifiers to be used at the bank
that are issued by those few OPs.  In fact, the banks could get together and
create one united Provider that collected my SSN, and all that PII so that I
could log into any bank's web site and (with my permission) automatically
have all that PII sent to the bank using the AX extension when creating a
new account at the bank.  If the banks' united Provider took care of
verifying my PII once, each bank could trust the Provider's assertions of my
PII and my UX setting up an account would be more convenient and the bank's
costs would go down.

Personally, I feel my myopenid.com account is much more secure than any of
my banks' logins are. I can use InfoCard to log into myopenid.com and lock
my account down to only allow that.  But my banks still use
username/password, which can be phished.