[OpenID] [LIKELY_SPAM]Re: Combining Google & Yahoo user experience research

Nate Klingenstein ndk at internet2.edu
Mon Oct 20 03:27:23 UTC 2008

Peter,

> I have to admit to some (more) ignorance: I don’t know what an UX
> issue is.

User interface.  No shame here -- I had to look it up myself. :P

> In the shib vision of the world, a long list of entities metadata
> is compiled and signed as a file at URL at well-known “natural”
> prividers, rather similarly to themodel used for the the original
> internet host files, pre DNS....
>
> What OpenID does seem to have done is use the web in the same role
> that DNS provided to the host file problem – liberate membership
> from centralized policy management.

Having had static metadata for a long time, we've wanted to move
towards decentralized metadata for a long time.  When we really began
to try it, however, we discovered that federations have been
providing us a lot more than we thought they were: advertisement for
services, a discovery mechanism for users, trust broker and legal
framework, a discovery mechanism for providers, etc.

If federations were only for naming, we would have disposed of them
long ago.  There's much more than that to replace.

Our use cases require dynamic discovery that can bootstrap trust,
legal, and advertisement frameworks.  This is why I've been pushing
for provider tagging alongside pure reputation services.

Take care,
Nate.