[OpenID] OpenID Identifiers in Atom Author Elements

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Sat Oct 18 00:48:40 UTC 2008

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a way to put OpenID identifiers of authors in the author
element in Atom.

One possibility I considered is:

<author>
     <name>Frank Example</name>
     <openid xmlns="something">http://frank.example.com/</openid>
</author>

Though I wonder if there's already a good value for "something" out
there that I could use, to avoid inventing a new XML namespace. The FOAF
folks were discussing an openid element, but I don't know if it's
appropriate to use FOAF's elements here. Any opinions?

Here's another possibility I've considered:

<author>
     <name>Frank Example</name>
     <link rel="something" href="http://frank.example.com/" />
</author>

I'm not sure if Atom actually allows "link" here, but it seems pretty
harmless anyway. Again, I need a good value for "something". Atom
requires that extension rel values be URIs rather than keywords.

Mainly I'm just wondering if anyone's deployed/implemented something
along these lines already, so that I can do what they're doing. Failing
that, I'm happy to make something up but I'd rather do something that
other people are likely to implement too otherwise it's a bit pointless.