[OpenID] OpenID education: RP vs OP?

Dick Hardt dick.hardt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 21:44:40 UTC 2008

On 17-Oct-08, at 1:30 PM, Eric Sachs wrote:

> I would probably be shot if I suggested adding such as interstitial
> education page between a user's login page and the application they
> were trying to access (like AdWords or Gmail) :-)

Would you like me to bring you a bullet proof vest?
I was not thinking of an interstitial page -- more of a little message
in a corner somewhere.

> I have been trying to talk to potential RPs in a wider set of market
> segments to see whether our research would meet their UI needs (in
> which case this type of education is not needed), or whether they
> have other requirements.  So far I have focused on use case 7-9
> listed at the bottom of here:
> http://sites.google.com/site/oauthgoog/UXFedLogin/09nov-uxsummit

I have LOTS of experience with case 7 my old Sxip Access product :-)
While it is "federated" login -- rarely are these self provisioned
scenarios. The security requirements often are significantly higher.
I'd be interested in hearing how you think SaaS fits in here.

> So far most of them think that research would meet their needs, but
> the one request that a few of them made was to make it easy for end-
> user to do federated login where there OP was a social network in
> addition to a large number of generic E-mail/OP providers.  I
> published some ideas on that earlier this week, but I do not have
> any usability data yet on whether it would work.  However for this
> model, I do think it would help for the big social networks to
> educate users to look for a login button for that social network on
> other websites.
> http://sites.google.com/site/oauthgoog/UXFedLogin/CombineGoogYahoo

I read that research, but not sure which ideas you are referring above.

-- Dick