[OpenID] [SPAM]Re: Latest Development in Japan

Peter Williams pwilliams at rapattoni.com
Fri Oct 17 15:45:04 UTC 2008

I'll need to test some of these to get confidence, but on face value they debunk a number of doom and gloom  falsehoods :-

(a)    There are no sites of much value using openid (the "no where to go")

(b)   There is insufficient assurance (the "no good for e-commerce")

(c)    It has no traditional applicability such as a code repository (the "its only for US web2.0 flybynight startups")

(d)   It does not need browser-vendor blessing (the "XRI will kill OpeniD2 until Mozilla gets a backroom deal to build a default XRI plugin")

(e)   Without the NIST framework, all is doomed (the "NIST framework for web must become known to grandma before OpenID can be accepted)

(f)     Without the endorsement of the academic library federations, it cannot take off (the "telematic security requires the consent of the old boy 'Washington-insider' network")

The Rakuten case look of particular interest: how they negotiated with the Japanese acquirer, given some of the weaker points of OpenID(2). The inability to store the security code in the members profiles is not OpenID-related (no merchant or merchant-aggregator can store that value and be VISA-certified (or equivalent)).

Any chance of some testing URLs?

1.       Translation features of the web are good enough these days get me passed through a login flow

2.       OpenID = UCI, which means I have  my own choice of OP. Lets test the actual openness, and whether it's getting a bit too nationalistic for the web (US only, Japan only, Euro-only, Russian-only...)

3.       Lets see how the delegation works. Can I edit my BIGLOBE XRDS, and have it also delegate to my own NEC-platform installation?

4.       Can we do a trial and have the SAML gateway component of the NEC platform do dynamic metadata learning (in the style of Ping Identity), so "SAML2 **behaves like** OpenID2". I could be the guinea pig, here, promoting actual convergence.