[OpenID] Making sure OpenID works (was: Starting new OpenID Workgroups)

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 05:10:50 UTC 2008

Well, I would take it for granted that we must put in resources to develop a
rigorous test suite, and that the OpenID Foundation should take the lead on
both sponsoring and leading this work.
So far Higgins has been doing a great deal of work in a related area, but
without a specific emphasis on OpenID.

This is one of the reasons why I suggested the move of the code repository
-- so that we could go through and make sure everything is working and that
we can contact the maintainers of each library and get some movement and
momentum there.

I also think that the current wiki solution is not only an eye-sore, but as
I experienced, is counter-productive to getting anything done as there's no
way (right now) to successfully authenticate in order to make changes.

I'm absolutely willing to help improve this situation (as I've done similar
work on the OAuth.net site and wiki (wiki.oauth.net)). I just need the
organizational wherewithal to give me the leeway to do so (of course I'm not
interested in stepping on anyone's toes, but if I can work in parallel, we
could move things over once something new is in place).

Chris

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 9:59 PM, Johannes Ernst <jernst+openid.net@
netmesh.us> wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2008, at 21:36 , Chris Messina wrote:
>
>> I'll volunteer to transfer this document to the OpenID wiki, but it's not
>> accepting my OpenID, so I'm stymied and can't proceed.
>>

> For OpenID to take the step from "see, mom, it works" to everyday life, we
> need to do better. OpenID needs to work 100% of time when the user expects
> it to work. I think we all have come across too many non-working OP / RP
> combinations. There are many reasons why certain combinations don't work
> (e.g. OpenID 1 vs. 2), but nobody really cares who is a user who wants to
> get a job done.
>
> What can we do to get to 100%?
>
> Traditionally, what people have done is defined interoperability test
> suites, required that all vendors pass the test suites, and made the use of
> the brand (here: the OpenID logo) dependent on passing the test suites.
>
> So far, we have not done this in OpenID.
>
> Do we need to?
>

> Cheers,
>

> Johannes.
>

> Johannes Ernst