[OpenID] Making sure OpenID works (was: Starting new OpenID Workgroups)

Johannes Ernst jernst+openid.net at netmesh.us
Thu Oct 16 04:59:30 UTC 2008

On Oct 15, 2008, at 21:36 , Chris Messina wrote:
> I'll volunteer to transfer this document to the OpenID wiki, but
> it's not accepting my OpenID, so I'm stymied and can't proceed.

For OpenID to take the step from "see, mom, it works" to everyday
life, we need to do better. OpenID needs to work 100% of time when the
user expects it to work. I think we all have come across too many non-
working OP / RP combinations. There are many reasons why certain
combinations don't work (e.g. OpenID 1 vs. 2), but nobody really cares
who is a user who wants to get a job done.

What can we do to get to 100%?

Traditionally, what people have done is defined interoperability test
suites, required that all vendors pass the test suites, and made the
use of the brand (here: the OpenID logo) dependent on passing the test
suites.

So far, we have not done this in OpenID.

Do we need to?

Cheers,

Johannes.

Johannes Ernst