[OpenID] Combining Google & Yahoo user experience research

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 01:07:07 UTC 2008

SitG Admin wrote:
>> I did not mean that resolution would be performed via SMTP. I am
>> just talking e-mail identifier, not SMTP protocol.
>
> I assumed you meant DNS, though. This is why I asked who was in
> charge, and described the advantages of a user-centric model (which
> we currently have). I believe that both of these advantages would be
> *lost* if we were to switch to implementing that feature in DNS.

A user that can control his email domain can do just as much as a user
who can control his URL, and conversely a user that does not control his
email domain is at the mercy of his email provider, just as a MyOpenID
user is at the mercy of MyOpenID.

Putting it in DNS doesn't change the user-centricness, it just changes
the means of publication.