[OpenID] Combining Google & Yahoo user experience research

Johannes Ernst jernst+openid.net at netmesh.us
Tue Oct 14 23:29:35 UTC 2008

On some level, it isn't, you are right.

On another, it's huge:
  - enter your e-mail address into your browser's address bar.
  - have del.icio.us bookmark e-mail addresses just like web pages --
with all the same functionality, including clicking on the bookmark
  - what about an HTTP POST against an e-mail address? (opens all
sorts of interesting possibilities for non-SMTP e-mail)
  - all the world's business cards (with an e-mail address) now also
list their personal home page (without reprinting)
etc.

I think I'm simply bringing up a different perspective on the same
technical problem. Which substantially expands the "market" for this
kind of technology from "only interesting to newfangled
projects" (like OpenID) to "everybody".

And, with all due respect to our friends who argue that e-mail
addresses are the "correct" identifier for faster end-user adoption, a
perspective that does not make those end users second-class citizens
because their identifier is "not on the web".

An e-mail address becomes just an alternate syntax for http://something.or.other