[OpenID] Fwd: Yahoo!: Mainstream Has No Idea what OpenID Is

David Recordon drecordon at sixapart.com
Tue Oct 14 20:47:00 UTC 2008

Piece on SitePoint about Yahoo!'s usability study.  Left the following
comment which is still in moderation:

Josh, I’m quite honestly not that surprised by the results of the
Yahoo! usability study. I completely agree that the results are quite
informative of where we as a community need to focus assuming we want
to see mainstream adoption of OpenID. When we look at OpenID along a
traditional adoption curve we are still in an early adopter phase as
the technology gets worked out, adapts to feedback from implementers,
and becomes easier to use and more prevalent.

I’m certainly not discouraged by this result, rather glad that it now
becomes far more clear what we need to tackle moving forward!

Yahoo!: Mainstream Has No Idea what OpenID Is
  SitePoint Blogs 10/14/08 12:52 PM Josh Catone News & Trends
mainstream openid study usability yahoo Comments
Yahoo! today released the results of the OpenID usability study (PDF).
The good news, says Yahoo!, is that after being explained the idea
behind OpenID, most participants saw the utility of being able to sign
into multiple web sites using a single sign-on and not having to sign
up for more than one account.

The bad news, though, is that not one participant — who were “several
experienced Yahoo! users (representative of [their] mainstream
audience)” — had heard of OpenID. Several didn’t notice the additional
option of signing into Yahoo! using OpenID or using their Yahoo!
username and password as OpenID credentials elsewhere and didn’t
understand what that meant until it was explained to them. Yahoo! has
supported OpenID since January of 2008.

Users were also confused by Yahoo!’s implementation, which asks them
to choose their OpenID provider when signing then, then auto-populates
the login box with that provider’s URL. Users were confused when they
weren’t presented with the password box they’re used to.

Despite of seeing the upside of OpenID, some respondents to the Yahoo!
survey expressed concern over the security of having one set of login
credentials for a multitude of sites. “I’m a little fearful about
global stuff. I prefer to have different passwords than one global
one. Once someone gets that one password, they have free access to
roam,” said one. Others thought that the process of signing up for an
OpenID account was so cumbersome, it didn’t sell them on the
convenience of the concept.

The key takeaway here is probably that even if OpenID is ready for the
mainstream, the mainstream doesn’t seem to be ready for OpenID. It
could definitely benefit from being simplified (in terms of both
signing up and signing in), but the main thing that needs to happen
for average users to begin to adopt OpenID is that it needs to be
pitched in a completely different way.

Yahoo! advises that publishers “promote the utility, not the
technology. To reach the majority of users who aren’t familiar with
OpenID as a technology, promote the ability to log in using an
existing account, not ‘OpenID’ itself.” Further, says Yahoo!, there
needs to be strong partnerships between OpenID providers and relying
parties in order for OpenID to work as a broadly accepted login
paradigm. “Users are focused on tasks, not technology; undiscoverable
or confusing experiences directly impact the success” of the providers
and relying parties, says Yahoo!

The test results were disappointing for Yahoo!, said Yahoo! Membership
Architect Allen Tom, but helpful. “Observing these tests was more than
a bit frustrating for the Yahoo! OpenID team, and the test subjects
may have been distracted by the sounds of the groans and head-pounding
coming from the other side of the one-way mirror. Certainly there is a
lot of work to be done on the OpenID user experience front,” he wrote
in blog post.

OpenID is fundamentally a sound idea, but these test results
demonstrate that for most users it is not an ideal solution and has
not been explained to them very well at all.