[OpenID] Combining Google & Yahoo user experience research

Chris Messina chris.messina at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 19:42:39 UTC 2008

No. I know that Mollum and Defensio (similar to Akismet) are both "aware" of
OpenID and might use them in their ranking algorithms, but Ma.gnolia's
experience having moved entirely to OpenID/Facebook account creation/sign-in
is that it only moves the problem.
Ma.gnolia (a social bookmarking service) has also implemented EAUT (allowing
people to sign-in with their email address and no password) backending on
the emailtoid.net service (proof-of-concept) and they've been inundated with
spam/bogus accounts.

Earlier they were receiving a large number of spam OpenID signup from Yahoo
and a large number of spam account signups from Facebook.

As far as email verification with OpenID, we'd be offering user-convenience
and a potential mechanism for single sign-on, putting the email provider in
the role of identity provider or, if the protocol requires it, allowing
someone to delegate their email address by way of redirect to a third-party
OpenID provider from their email provider.

I don't know that email verification via OpenID would necessarily reduce or
prevent spam. Spammers are really good at moving goalposts.

Chris

--
Chris Messina
Citizen-Participant &