[OpenID] Combining Google & Yahoo user experience research

Allen Tom atom at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Oct 14 18:48:41 UTC 2008

John Panzer wrote:

> I can also think of #4:  I have existing legacy systems that are based
> on having the verified email address (especially as a foreign key),
> and want to migrate incrementally, if at all.

Bingo!

Sites need to have a realistic migration path to OpenID. Many sites have
registration systems keyed off of the user's verified email address, and
they'd probably want to minimize the changes in their backend systems to
support OpenID.

I do think that URL based identifiers are ideal, however it seems that
RPs may want an even lighter weight way to start using OpenID, so
defining a use case for Email Verification could be a way to transition
RPs to OpenID.

Allen