[OpenID] Yahoo OpenID UX Study

George Fletcher gffletch at aol.com
Fri Oct 10 22:02:43 UTC 2008

+1 for getting support in browsers

I have no problem with the "OP Login button" approach, but even that
(once we get more than three that want to be on the RP) will get
cumbersome and I worry that users will be looking all over the site for
"the login link/form". They might pass right over the "Login with your
Yahoo! ID" button.

It probably will take minimal spec work to close the necessary gaps, but
I agree it's not "an amazingly difficult problem technically". Is there
a reason to wait on this effort? I can envision a very simple
"config/settings" panel that asks the user for their email address (with
an advanced button for people who know what they are doing) and uses
EAUT to determine the user's OpenID. Minimal text could tell the user
that they can increase their security and convenience by setting this up.

The browser could even detect that a site supports OpenID and walk the
user through configuring the browser to help them login. Once done for
one site, the browser could proactively inform the user of new sites the
user can login to based on the configured identity.

This doesn't seem hard and will make the user experience much better.
And it will improve security by interacting with the OP directly instead
of via redirect in the current model.

Thanks,
George