[OpenID] Yahoo OpenID UX Study

SitG Admin sysadmin at shadowsinthegarden.com
Fri Oct 10 20:08:11 UTC 2008

Martin - those are excellent points about using a few big providers
to shift users' awareness a bit at a time. I'm worried about what
happens when we get midway, though - will users continue to
transition the rest of the way, or get stuck at the point of "SSO is
done by big-name sites."?

>I agree that at this point users shouldn't be seeing the name "OpenID"
>as the primary brand for logging in.

Interesting thought, there - should OpenID be the underlying
technology, and respective implementations the actual brand names? I
think it's important for big providers to have high visibility of the
OpenID technology, so users aren't misled into thinking that the
underlying technology is created/owned by those big sites - if they
were to then see the same service offered at many smaller sites,
OpenID could be seen as "something made by large companies that was
later opened to smaller sites" instead of what we can *now* clearly
see as an open technology that is available to ANY site.

Something like the proudly displayed Verisign logo, where sites show
off that their security is confirmed by a highly reputable name - if
the big sites could showcase OpenID in that same way, that would be
really neat :)

-Shade