[OpenID] Building on the OpenID PAPE specification

Brian Kelly brian.kelly at trustbearer.com
Wed Oct 8 16:30:16 UTC 2008

Dick,

A few examples of why an RP might want to know more about what kind of
authentication an OP used:

1. RP wants to make sure OP is using reasonable practices for password
strength enforcement (e.g. change PW every 6 months, at least 8
characters with at least 4 of those characters being unique)

If an RP is going to be providing access to confidential information,
the RP may want to ensure that their users' OPs are enforcing
reasonable password policies.

2. Same issue as in #1, but applied to OTP length / type.

3. RP wants to be assured of OP user's identity by verifying that the
user authenticated using a digital certificate that was provided by
specific root CAs that the RP trusts.

By providing more granular information about how the user was
authenticated, the RP can be assured that the OP's authentication
methods are at least as good as the authentication methods the RP
would have used without OpenID.

The higher-level goal of PAPE-AM, which is aligned with a goal of
PAPE, is to increase OpenID adoption among RPs that must ensure that
access to services and individual's information is properly protected
by the OP.

Brian