[OpenID] Building on the OpenID PAPE specification

Brian Kelly brian.kelly at trustbearer.com
Mon Oct 6 21:28:56 UTC 2008

A few months ago, some members from the OATH community and I got
together to take a fresh look at the PAPE spec, what it was trying to
accomplish, and how well it could be implemented. We started holding
semi-weekly conference calls and over the period of a couple months we
drafted up a slightly new take on PAPE.

The main difference is that we defined a specific set of
authentication methods, rather than only using high-level policies.
After long discussions we found that there was too much ambiguity in
the high-level policies as defined today in PAPE. We created a draft
of our modified specification, termed PAPE-Authentication Mechanisms
(PAPE-AM), and we are beginning to socialize the concepts in that draft.

I published a blog post summarizing our motivations, and wanted to
share it with the greater OpenID mailing list.

http://openidtrustbearer.wordpress.com/2008/10/06/building-on-the-openid-pape-specification/

I would appreciate hearing the thoughts of the readers on this mailing
list. Please respond publicly, or feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you,
Brian

--
Brian Kelly